Each Section Study corresponds to a section of the newspaper and uses the people and places of New York City to explore current events and topical issues of our time.
through guided discussions and self-reflection, students develop a timesian way of thinking and learn to understand and form perspectives on a range of relevant, real world subject matter. collectively, section studies create a foundation of knowledge that help students become well-rounded, thoughtful and informed citizens while providing a core set of life skills that will prepare students for college and the world beyond the classroom. these skills include: content knowledge, critical thinking, communication, media literacy, and career exploration.
2020欧洲杯备用网址section study modules are led by subject matter experts and include a combination of reading assignments, lectures, guest speakers, group discussions, site visits, workshops and a culminating project on the topic of each week. the topics are always relevant to something that is happening in the world today and form the basis for a broader conversation.
Learning Outcomes & Life Skills
students will emerge from gap year with a strong sense of self, imbued with a framework of deepened understanding about what drives their passions and what issues are meaningful to them. students will walk away with important attributes and skills - outlined below - that are in demand in both the work force and academic communities.
- The ability to observe and interpret complex topics
- The ability to synthesize and evaluate evidence from different perspectives
- The ability to form solutions to problems
- The ability to create and defend arguments
- The ability to debate complex, controversial topics and articulate what you stand for
- The ability to individually or collaboratively work toward a common goal
- The ability to analyze and evaluate media in its different forms
- The ability to understand media’s role in society
- The ability to create media as a form of individual expression
- Exposure to a breadth of careers and career pathways
- Meet a diverse array of professionals and learn how they shape the world around them
- Awareness and knowledge of key global issues in the context of real-world application
- Learn to identify and prioritize goals based on self-reflection and self-evaluation
- Adopt understanding of essential professional etiquette skills
- Develop intrapersonal skills such as time management, taking initiative and decision-making that reflect a well-rounded adult to navigate a variety of future environments
Sample Section Study Modules
2020欧洲杯备用网址please note that this list is a sampling of section study modules. each term or track of gap year is comprised of a different curated selection of modules. to find out which modules will be offered during your term, please visit the program page or contact admissions.
Please note that Section Study modules are subject to change at any time at the discretion of The School of The New York Times.
Interested in viewing a sample Section Study syllabus? Contact our Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.